The Forest Products Research and Development Institute (FPRDI) was created in 1954 as the Forest Products Laboratory (FPL) under the then Bureau of Forestry. It was located, as it is now, in the campus of the University of the Philippines Los Baños-College of Forestry and Natural Resources (UPLBCFNR).
The Laboratory was established in response to the need for information and technology on the utilization of timber resources as well as non-wood forest products. At that time the Philippines was the prime exporter of forest products in Asia.
Since then, the FPL has undergone numerous transformations:
- as the Forest Products Research Institute (FPRI) under the University of the Philippines (UP) from 1957 to 1969;
- as the Forest Products Research and Industries Development Commission (FORPRIDECOM) under the National Science Development Board (NSDB) and then the National Science and Technology Authority (NSTA) from 1969 to 1982 and finally
- as the FPRDI under the NSTA from 1982 to 1986.
After the EDSA Revolution, the NSTA was reorganized into the Department of Science and Technology (DOST). The FPRDI was retained under the department and restructured internally to address the changing needs of the forest-based industries.
- Conduct research and development on wood and non-wood forest products;
- Transfer technologies; and
- Provide technical services and trainings.
Generate, improve and transfer appropriate technologies and information on efficient utilization of forest-based products to make local industries more competitive in the domestic and global markets and to benefit the general public.
A renowned leader and center of excellence in forest products utilization research, development and technology transfer.
- Generate scientific knowledge on forest-based materials critical to the development of production technologies;
- Ensure the global competitiveness of environment friendly forest-based products; and
- Enhance efficiency and effectiveness of existing forest-based industries and assist in the establishment of new enterprises.
FUNCTIONS OF FPRDI
To carry out its mission, the Institute performs the following functions:
- Conduct research on the proper identification, properties, uses, processing and protection of forest products, to improve their utility, quality, serviceability and economic value;
- Commercialize generated and adapted technologies to identified clientele and provide technological information to industries and other users of forest products;
- Formulate and recommend grading rules, specifications and quality standards of forest products;
- Provide consultancy and technical assistance to forest products-using industries to improve product quality, upgrade efficiency and increase productivity;
- Conduct technical training programs to upgrade skills and competence of industrial manpower;
- Promote productive capabilities and create opportunities for livelihood in rural communities through specific utilization of indigenous forest resources; and
- Maintain a depository of technical information and research results on properties, end-uses, processing and protection of forest products and disseminate such information for the benefit of the forest products-using industries and the general public.
Effectivity Date: 27 February 2018
"We are committed to provide the highest standard of service to our customers and other interested parties within our resources following all applicable requirements and to improve the effectiveness of our QMS at all times."
Effectivity Date: 27 February 2018
- To deliver required products according to mutually agreed terms and conditions and all applicable requirements.
- To attain a "very satisfactory" rating from 90% of customers through the continual improvement of our QMS.